Museum &

Exhibitions

Zone 2 : The Two Pioneering Campuses of Mahidol

The zone features the history of physical development of the first two campuses of Mahidol University, namely Bangkok Noi and Phyathai Campuses.

Mahidol University Bangkok Noi Campus represents the pioneering step starting in 1888 when Siriraj Hospital was founded. Occupying a section of the Rear Palace, the hospital comprised mostly wooden structures. This was followed by the founding of Rajabaedayalaya School and the School of Midwifery and Nursing. To facilitate the medical and nursing programmes, the hospital underwent modernization through the construction of new buildings. Following the change of the university’s name to Mahidol University in 1969, additional buildings were constructed while infrastructural systems were improved to reflect modern times as well as the increasing needs.

Mahidol University Phyathai Campus represents yet another step forward. The plots of land situated on such main roads in Phyathai Districts as Rama VI, Rajawithi, Yothi and Si Ayutthaya Roads became the sites of altogether six major science faculties. The period from 1987 onward saw an exponential growth of the campus, as evidenced an increase in the construction of new, larger-sized, taller, multi-purpose buildings to replace the existing ones.

Bangkok Noi Campus: The Pioneering Step for Mahidol

The Fledgling Period (1887-1922)

In 1888, construction of Siriraj Hospital got underway on a 24-rai (approximately 9.5-acre) abandoned plot of land in a corner of Wang Lang (the Rear Palace). Most building such as in-patient wards were made of wood. The buildings, included Victoria and Saovabhagaya Buildings, reserved for special patients, situated at the centre of the area. The area facing the river served as the hospital’s front as rivers and canals were the principal means of transportation at that time. For this reason, it was the site of the OPD Buildings.

In 1890, the first medical school of Thailand was established in the area of Siriraj Hospital. It was later named as Rajabaedayalaya in 1900 and the buildings of the medical school were opened. Moreover, the School of Nursing and Midwifery was built as a wooden house. In the meantime, additional expansions also occurred in other areas. Significant structures included Chakraphong Road, the main road of the hospital running straight from Siriraj Pier to the central section of the hospital, built in 1896, and the first operating theatre, built in 1893.

The Growing Phase (1923 - 1941)

Prince Mahidol Aduldej played a major role in the development of Thai medicine, especially in planning for improving Siriraj Hospital and supporting the construction cost of several buildings. Many wooden buildings were torn down and replaced by mostly two-storey brick buildings for in-patients as well as for academic purposes. Significant ones among them were the Administration Building, Mahidol Bamphen Building and Mahidol Waranuson Building. In terms of infrastructure, water pipes were laid across the Chao Phraya River from Bangkok to Thonburi side where Siriraj Hospital is situated.

The hospital additionally expanded in three areas. To the north, the Anatomy and Pathology Buildings were built on the plot of land granted by the Bureau of Royal Private Treasury while the riverfront area to the north was appropriated for the construction of dormitories for physicians. The former premises of Wang Lang Girls’ School are presently the site of the Faculty of Nursing. To the south, the hospital was expanded almost to Phrannok Road.

University of Medical Science in the Face of the Great War and the Rehabilitation Phase (1942 - 1968)

In 1942, the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital was transferred from Chulalongkorn University to the newly established university called the University of Medical Science, together with the establishment of the Office of President situated at the Administration Building. During the end of the World War II (1945) a number of buildings including physician’s dormitories, Phra Ong Ying Building and the second Pathology Building suffered damage. After subsequent rehabilitation, a certain expansion was carried out in a plot of land in the premises of Thonburi Railway Station. Additional expansion took place to the north around 1966 while more land was appropriated to the west so that the hospital premises border on Arun Amarin Road. Some buildings were renovated and expanded vertically for more space. Major new buildings include Rajabaedayalaya Auditorium, OPD Buildings on the riverside and the Faculty of Medical Technology built in 1957.

Present Situation and Future Outlook

At present (2010), Mahidol University Bangkok Noi Campus occupies a combined area of 128 rai (approximately 50.5 acres). Development of the public utility system so far implemented, for example in the area of electricity, involves the installation of underground power lines within the entire campus for safety as well as landscaping reasons, including an augmentation of green area and environment –concerned construction.

Phyathai Campus: Another Big Step Forward

The Fledgling Period (Prior to 1969)

During the period when Mahidol University was still known as the University of Medical Science, the faculties already in existence, namely Faculties of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Science, had to conduct academic activities at Siriraj Hospital and Chulalongkorn University. Around 1958, the government relinquished to the university plots of land under the auspices of the military in Phyathai District. The plots on Rama VI, Rajawithi (owned partly by the Crown Property Bureau), Yothi and Si Ayutthaya Roads later became the new sites of the three faculties mentioned above. Three additional faculties were subsequently established, namely the Faculties of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Dentistry and Pharmacy.

The Expansion Period (from 1969 onward)

After the change of its name to Mahidol University, all six faculties on Phyathai Campus continued to physically expand to accommodate the increasing number of students and the growing demand for medical services. Due to a limited space, however, old dilapidated buildings had to be torn down and replaced by large-sized, multi-storey, multi-purpose buildings such as the new Biology Building and Chamlong Harinnasut Building. Criteria for the positioning of these, most of which were classroom, laboratory, office as well as service buildings, included necessity, accessibility, landscape and wind direction.

Two Decades after the Exponential Growth (from 1987 onward)

During this period, constructions of new, taller buildings – some equipped with underground parking facilities – reflect the effort to meet the increasing utilization needs. Many faculties continued to require physical expansion in line with the university’s policies. Major buildings of this period include the multi-purpose building built in 1997 on the common grounds of three faculties, serving as a centre for all Ratchawithi-based faculties, and the Queen Sirikit Medical Centre under the auspices of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital built in 1989, among others.

Present Situation and Future Outlook

At present (2010), Mahidol University Phyathai Campus occupies a total space of approximately 82.5 acres. Although its faculties are scattered over separate plots of land, they are mutually easily accessible. For example, the Ratchawithi-based faculties are situated in the same compound and linked by walkways and common entrances with no fences separating them, while those on Rama VI Road, although situated on separate compounds, have mutual access to one another through linking walkways and gates. Furthermore, the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital has recently acquired a new plot of land adjacent to Tuek Chai Intersection for the construction of Somdet Phra Debaratana Medical Centre so as to enhance its provision of modern medical services, including 50-Year Chaloem Phrakiat Building of the Faculty of Dentistry, and the new buildings of the Faculties of Public Health, Tropical Medicine, and Pharmacy. Moreover, in 2001, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital Construction Project will be established on an area of approximately 500 rai in Bang Phli District, Samut Prakan Province.

QUICK LINKS

MU Archives & Museums

Mahidol UniversityLibrary and Knowledge Center

Archive & Museums Department

Archives Administration Division

Address: 3rd Floor, Library and Knowledge Center, Mahidol University

Opening Hours: Monday - Friday, 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.

Tel.: 0-2800-2680-9 Ext. 4346

Museums & Exhibitions Division

Address: 3rd Floor, Mahidol Learning Center, Mahidol University, Phutthamonthon 4 Rd.

Salaya Sub-district, Phutthamonthon District, Nakhon Pathom Province, 73170 

Tel.: 0-2849-4541-42

Fax: 0-2449-4545

©2020 Archive and Museum Division, Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center | E-mail: muarms@mahidol.ac.th