Museum &

Exhibitions

Zone 2: Originally Established as “University of Medical Science”

The zone recounts the initial phase of Mahidol University since it was founded as the “University of Medical Science” in 1942.

The academic activities against the backdrop of World War II, post-war development when additional faculties were set up to augment the scope of education and students’ lives at the time. The last section of the exhibition focuses on the period preceding the establishment of the University of Medical Science starting with the founding of Siriraj Hospital and Rajapaethayalai in the reign of King Rama V.

Originally Established as “The University of Medical Science”

The history of Mahidol University covers the period starting from its establishment as the University of Medical Science to the subsequent founding of additional faculties to augment the scope of education. It also recounts students’ lives at the time. The last section of the exhibition focuses on the founding of Siriraj Hospital and the period preceding the establishment of the university as well as its development through the years starting in the reign of King Rama V.

The Dawn of Wisdom

In 1942, the Faculties of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Dentistry, Pharmaceutical Science and Veterinary Science of Chulalongkorn University became affiliated to the newly established University of Medical Science under the auspices of the Ministry of Public Health. The objective was to turn out a small number but highly qualified medical as well as specialized doctors. The university’s motto was “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you” which is in line with the Prince Father’s advice and emphasis on medical doctors’ obligation to serve the people, saying that, “to gain the patients’ trust, you should heed the saying: ‘Others’ feelings; our feelings’.You should strive to provide your patients the same kind of comfort you would want for yourselves”.

The King’s Intent

On 23rd April, 1946, King Ananda Mahidol, Rama VIII, accompanied by his younger brother, presided over the graduation ceremony where degrees and diplomas were conferred on graduates at the ceremonial pavilion in front of the Radiology Building, Siriraj Hospital. It was the first and only graduation ceremony held during his reign. On the occasion, the king stated that he “would like to see the university turn out more doctors to meet the national demand”, which was reflected in the university’s declaration of its objective to produce personnel who would nobly provide full-scale services for the people.

Braving the Storm

World War II had a severe impact on the university’s academic activities as many buildings under the auspices of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital were damaged in the Allies’ air attack. These include the new Pathology Building, Phra Ong Ying Building and doctors’ dormitories. Classes were subsequently held in makeshift, thatched wooden buildings. Despite these hardships, the hospital continued to provide treatment for the sick and the injured, with fourth-year medical students rendering back-up assistance, while hospital buildings had to be expanded to cope with the increasing number of patients. Nevertheless, with heavier air attacks the university was compelled to relocate its classes to the old buildings of Rajavidhayalai School (currently the old Nonthaburi City Hall).

A shortage of teaching aids, textbooks, medicine, medical supplies and medical personnel also prevailed during the war due to the failure to keep in touch with Western countries. Members of the academic staff had to write their own texts in Thai as well as modify medical tools and instruments to be used as teaching aids, for example, gross anatomy textbooks, slides used in teaching various courses, and laboratory apparatuses for physiology tests.

Cross-over Freshmen Initiation: Sharing Institution, Loving like Offspring of the Same Mother

The “cross-over” freshmen initiation dates back to 1931 when the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital was still affiliated to Chulalongkorn University. At the time, an annual soccer match was regularly held between the faculty and Chulalongkorn’s Faculty of Science. As it happened, a player from the latter, regarded then as the Faculty of Pre-medicine, struck up a fight with players from the former, causing senior-year students of the former to become disgruntled and plan to take revenge on him when he “crossed the river” and became freshman at Siriraj. However, members of the Siriraj Student Council met and agreed that revenge would be no good to anybody. They then decided to row a boat from Siriraj Pier to receive freshmen hailing from Chulalongkorn University at Tha Phra Chan Pier. A welcoming party as a gesture of forgiveness and to foster unity among students would ensue. The mode of freshmen initiation not only promoted unity but also brought recognition of seniors on the part of juniors and has been upheld as tradition that continues till today. It was, besides, the first university-level freshmen initiation in Thailand.

Intent on Treating People

Due to an increase in demand for medical care following World War II, the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital greatly expanded its scope of service. To accommodate such demand, the university gradually established additional faculties, namely Faculty of Public Health, Faculty of Medical Technology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Science, the Graduate School, Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Faculty of Dentistry and Faculty of Pharmacy. The move reflects the medical and public health advancement of Thailand as well as the determination of the university personnel to promote public health and hygiene.

Birth of an Institution

The University of Medical Science originated from the founding of Siriraj Hospital on 26th April, 1888 following King Chulalongkorn’s, Rama V’s, desire to alleviate his subjects’ plight and foster their happiness while improving the country’s medical facilities to be on a par with other civilized countries. To achieve this, a hospital that met Western standards was established to provide patients with medical services free of charge and turn out medical and public health personnel to meet the country’s needs. Siriraj Hospital was named after His Royal Highness Prince Sirirajakakudhabhandu, a son of King Chulalongkorn who died of dysentery at the age of only one year and seven months.

Medical School was subsequently founded in 1893 to turn out qualified practitioners of modern medicine and provide training in midwifery for doctors and female nurses. Later renamed as Royal Medical College, it became affiliated to Chulalongkorn University in 1917, this time being renamed yet again as Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital. Under collaboration with the Rockefeller Foundation, its medical certificate programme advanced to a medical degree programme.

Collaboration with the Rockefeller Foundation

The Rockefeller Foundation’s crucial role in the advancement of medical study in Thailand was facilitated by the Prince Father’s negotiation. The collaboration resulted in an improved medical programme based on the 2 : 2 : 2 model which comprised two years of pre-medical courses to be given by the Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, and four years of medical courses to be given by the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital. Graduates were conferred with a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine. Moreover, the Rockefeller Foundation collaborated with the Thai government in sending Thai medical doctors for overseas studies as well as sponsoring foreign doctors’ roles as guest lecturers at Siriraj Hospital. The Foundation also allocated funds to support the construction of new buildings.

QUICK LINKS

MU Archives & Museums

Mahidol UniversityLibrary and Knowledge Center

Archive & Museums Department

Archives Administration Division

Address: 3rd Floor, Library and Knowledge Center, Mahidol University

Opening Hours: Monday - Friday, 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.

Tel.: 0-2800-2680-9 Ext. 4346

Museums & Exhibitions Division

Address: 3rd Floor, Mahidol Learning Center, Mahidol University, Phutthamonthon 4 Rd.

Salaya Sub-district, Phutthamonthon District, Nakhon Pathom Province, 73170 

Tel.: 0-2849-4541-42

Fax: 0-2449-4545

©2020 Archive and Museum Division, Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center | E-mail: muarms@mahidol.ac.th